If you're struggling to make money right now, or you feel your business has plateaued and you're trying to get it back to where it once was... OR you're doing great and you want to do better...
"What's the most effective thing
you can do right now
to EXPLODE your business?"
Let me tell you three things that WON'T help... or at least, these aren't the answers I'm looking for...
It's not "expanding your social media presence" -- look, I created a LinkedIn group with the rest of them that's now just under 1,000 members. We've got a few Facebook fan pages for our business (plus some other niches) and a FB group where people login and post every day. Google+ Communities are too new for me. A Twitter account I never really use, 7k followers...
Writing a book? You should have one but there are more urgent matters you need to attend to...
Information product? The "perfect" home study course or membership site that took you 2 years of content creation to finish? Or a "steady stream" of 7 dollar products that make you 500 bucks each? Not so much...
The secret to consistent income is sending consistent emails consistently.
MEANING: Email Every Day!
I'm looking at 2,706 broadcast emails I've sent in the past 5 years alone and here's what I can tell you...
- People are going to drop off your list no matter what you do (1% list decay every single day)
- You can email for the same offer 45 days in a row and people will buy every single day (Newbie Crusher, Paper Template, Backup Creator)
- You can expect a 2% clickthrough rate from your entire list every time you mail -- but you can mail 5-10 days in a row to get 10%-20% of your subscribers to click
- Your subscribers are the hottest within the first 7 days -- so email every day when someone joins your list
I don't know how your business is doing personally (but I do care)... but if you plan on going to an offline event anytime soon, as this question to an internet marketer: "Where is your optin page and where can I join your list?" You probably won't get a URL as an answer.
Thinking back to some random conversation years ago. Someone asks me why webinar attendance was down industry-wide. He mailed to a webinar and only had 100 people register, only 33 showed up, he didn't make too many sales...
After some questioning, I realized he'd only mailed once. With a very uninteresting webinar title. At the last minute. He fooled me at first when he said his list was 50,000. I had to find out the hard way that "fifty thousand" included his Twitter followers, Facebook friends, YouTube subscribers... not the same thing.
Is Facebook eating all our lunch? Yes! Are email opens down, email clicks down, blog comments down once people get to the page? You better believe it!
Of course people would rather click the "like" button, share a 1-sentence post with friends, post a cute picture of a puppy, or get distracted by 1,000 other things on the page.
Here's another scary thought... I took an a forced optin page that converts at 42.9% to cold traffic, promoted it on Facebook... only a 1.29% optin rate! (direct linking on the news feed, running ads, placing inside a fan page iframe didn't make any difference... they ALL remained around a 1% optin rate)
It's like Facebook has turned our brains into BROWN SLUDGE!!!
So internet marketing as we know it is DEAD?!?
What's the solution? Is it to pack up your blog, pack up your website, shut down that sales letter, stop emailing, and move it all to Facebook?
No. Look, you might love Facebook a bunch, but it's "just another traffic source" just like EzineArticles is just another traffic source and AdRoll is just another traffic source and podcasting is just another traffic source!
- Keep the email list, free gift, optin page, sales letter, keep sending broadcast emails and save your best emails into your followup sequence
- Keep running ads and tracking your links so you know what converts and what doesn't
- Keep engaging your list by asking them questions and doing crazy things (mail your physical book to the first 20 responders, pay people $1 to attend a webinar or comment on a blog post, limit your blog to 10 comments or your sales letter to 1000 sales) -- BE INTERESTING (UNLIKE MOST PEOPLE!!!)
- Keep getting your subscribers to take action (consume your freebie, login to the membership, comment on your blog post, read your sales letter)
- Keep building your list any possible way that you can
- Keep networking with other marketers, use TimeTrade to schedule interviews and setup an affiliate program using Clickbank and Rapid Action Profits
And out of those... 4 of them are "home run hits" that make sales every single day, so I've built my funnels around them!
If your list has gone cold, tell them why you've been missing and what they can expect from you in the next 30 days.
If you've stopped building your list, figure out where you can get 200 clicks back to your sales letter -- that's 100 opt-ins (just not from Facebook!)
Speaking of Facebook, start posting your links -- and sometimes your entire emails -- as status updates for extra traffic. Post them on the groups you own, your own timeline, fan pages you run and boost those posts for 7 dollars.
The number of comments on this blog post proves it... the "traffic" hasn't gone anywhere. We just have to be more interesting in order to get more engagement than the clicking of a "like" button.
Question: What are can you do this week to rise to overcome the FACEBOOK SLUDGE that seems to be stealing our traffic and taking everyone's attention away?